Spring is the perfect time to clean up your home, yard, garage and body. Yes, your body! This is my favorite time of year for a detox. At some point, we all eat processed foods, drink unfiltered water and breathe air filled with pollutants, so we can all benefit from purifying ourselves. I recommend a detox that lasts from 7-21 days, depending on how disciplined and determined you are. A great, simple detox that almost anyone can do, involves eating clean, unprocessed foods. Here are some keys to remember during your detox.
- Eliminate meat, dairy, gluten, caffeine, alcohol and sugar from your diet.
- Instead, fill your diet with beans, small amounts of fruit, quinoa, brown and wild rice and as many fresh vegetables as you want.
- Fruits and vegetables are not only easier to digest, they are also loaded with vitamins, minerals and fiber. All of which are natural detoxifiers. Take advantage of farmers’ markets and food co-ops to purchase fresh, local produce.
- Drink plenty of water. Aim for half your body weight in ounces every day.
- You should never feel hungry or deprived on a detox. Shop and cook for several days in advance. This way you always have healthy options available when you are hungry. Even the most dedicated will fail if they are hungry and there is nothing to eat in the pantry or refrigerator.
- Being mentally ready for a diet change is the most important step of a successful detox program. Keep a positive outlook and focus on the healthy kick start you are giving to your body.
You can step up your detox by including a mixture of herbs, vitamins and fiber supplements to filter your organs and intestines. The Standard Process 10-21 Day Detox Program is my detox of choice. This is a physician developed, nutrition based program consisting of a whole foods derived protein powder, herbal detoxifiers and fiber supplementation. When used in combination with clean eating, it is a great aid in filtering your entire body. This is a true detox that draws out and flushes toxins from your kidneys, liver and intestines, unlike most over the counter detoxes that just cause you to have more frequent bowel movements.
Don’t forget, your body is more important than your home, yard or garage. It is your most valuable asset! Make sure to include it in your “spring cleaning” this month.
order isotretinoin online Dr. Cathy